Re: NEC-LIST: Simulating a *DC* EM problem

From: Prof Duncan Baker <dbaker_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2000 09:39:30 +0200

Good day.

Of course at low frequencies one should be able to use the DC case as
a quasi-static approximation.

Best regards,
Duncan Baker.

Max J. Schmitt wrote:

> I don't think you can model your problem with NEC since you talk about
> DC excitation. I know of one inexpensive modeling software, called
> MACSYMA PDEase. This program solves Partial Differential Equations and
> provides graphics output of EM fields, etc.
>
> It can only handle 2 D geometries, but if you can use cylindrical
> coordinates, it could solve 3 D geometries. With this program, you
> only have to put in your equations and boundaries, and it will
> calculate all the parameters by Finite Element Method (FEM).
>
> You can get details on the WEB as :
>
> http://www.macsyma.com or http://shop.macsyma.com
>
> You can also buy the book : "Fields of Physics on the PC", by Gunnar
> Backstrom from MACSYMA. It contains many examples for EM modeling.

Prof. Duncan C. Baker (Pr. Eng., FIEEE, FSAIEE, Sci. Nat.)
Dept. of Electrical and Electronic Eng.,
University of Pretoria, 0002 Pretoria, SOUTH AFRICA.
 Editor, IEEE Region 8 News.
Region 8 Homepage - http://www.ewh.ieee.org/reg/8/  or
   http://www.ieee.org/regional/r8/
PHONE +27 12 420 2775 (OFFICE),  +27 12 361 7480 (HOME)
FAX   +27 12 362 5000 (OFFICE),  +27 12 348 5314 (HOME)
E-MAIL: University: dbaker_at_postino.up.ac.za
        IEEE alias address: duncan.baker_at_ieee.org
 Private server address:  apc_at_acenet.co.za
LOCAL STANDARD TIME = UT+2 HOURS