Re: NEC-LIST: Electrically "short" antennas ...

From: Wan Juang Foo <fwj_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 15:14:10 +0800

Hi,

I note this thread with some interest. You may be interested to view
some of my results working from a battery powered test circuit. The
simulation results for the test circuit shows that common mode
currents plays an important part e.g. 400 MHz.

sincerely

Tim Foo
http://www.geocities.com/timfoo6143/

Title of my Thesis: A Qualitative Evaluation of Design
           Rules relating to PCB Design for EMC

To view a jpg file of my thesis view/download the following:

  p 0, title page, (25053 bytes),
  http://www.geocities.com/timfoo6143/p0.jpg

  p78 common mode current, battery on test circuit,
      simulation results ( 249978 bytes)
  http://www.geocities.com/timfoo6143/p78.jpg

<snip>

Doug McKean <dmckean_at_gte.net> wrote:

> Thanks everyone.
>
> I checked it again today.
>
> There is indeed plenty of radiation coming from the coax.
>
> I tried to suppress this with a large number of ferrites and didn't
> achieve sufficient suppression.

Since you mentioned PCB design earlier, I would like to point out that
PCBs also have cables attached, and the same radiation mechanism
occurs there.

This means that your experiments did not fail to measure the right
thing, but (as a model for realistic devices) they measured exactly
the right thing. (although I should add, that above some 300~MHz the
PCB itself often dominates).

<snip>