RE: NEC-LIST: shiffman shifter

From: Gili, Paul E <paul.e.gili_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 17:13:30 -0400

Egad, finally someone is looking for something I saved from the old
days.

"A New Class of Broad-Band Microwave 90-Degree Phase Shifters" by M.
Schiffman appeared on page 232 of the IRE Transactions on Microwave
Theory and Techniques, April, 1958. If you can't get a copy I'll scan
mine and send it, but it's a little "moldy." There may be references
to it in later microwave circuit design books.

There are several different types of Shiffman phase shifters, and you
should really have the ability to model a coupled pair of lines,
having available the parameters Zoo and Zoe as independent variables
(odd and even mode characteristic impedances). You could model the
non radiating circuit separately, and determine a 2 port [Y] matrix of
the phase shifter with EESOF or most any present day CAD package at
each frequency where you intend to do a NEC simulation. Then you
could use these y-parameters in an 'NT' line in the NEC simulation at
each frequency.

A little clumsy, but what do you want from a dinosaur?

Paul Gili
Sanders
voice: 603-885-3938