Re: NEC-LIST: shiffman shifter

From: D. B. Miron <dbmiron_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 13:22:40 -0600

Good day Mr. Dawson,

Thanks for the compliment. I have felt all along that these ideas
should be in the literature somewhere, but haven 't found them. I
confess that I am not as diligent about searching the literature as I
should be; because of my slow reading rate I often find it faster to
derive a relationship than search for it. It would be helpful if you
could give a more specific citation for Terman. I have the 1943 first
edition. I spent most of the morning looking through Section 3's
material on network theory. It is mostly based on image impedance
theory, which is no simpler than chain or other two-polrt network
models. On page 212 I found design equations for T and pi circuits to
get R1 to R2 matching with a desired phase shift. I have seen these
elsewhere as well. But nowhere did I find a discussion of the analogy
with the quarter-wave line, or application to balun or hybrid design.

The type of analysis applied to the problems is not important. I
used ABCD parameters for fun, but when I came to trying to get
performance results for the hybrid I felt node equations were the best
approach and the advantages of ABCD parameters are lost for such a
non-chain circuit . The important ideas in the article are the
analogy between the LC circuits and the quarter-wave line, and how
this analogy leads to LC versions of baluns and other circuits that
commonly use quarter-wave lines.

If anyone can supply references for these ideas I'd be glad to see
them.

Regards,
Doug Miron