NEC-LIST: Modeling an inductor

From: Chuck Counselman <ccc_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 14:34:24 -0400

Has anyone succeeded using NEC-4 to model an inductor, in the form of
a multiturn coil? The specific application I have in mind is a coil
having inductance in the range of 2 to 4 microhenries, of the order
of 4 inches in diameter and 4 inches long, with approximately 6 turns
of approximately 0.1- to 0.375-inch diameter tubing, for a high-power
application at 14 MHz. I'd like to determine the inductance, the Q,
and the self-resonant frequency for various coil diameters and
lengths, numbers of turns and diameter of wire. I'd also like to
investigate coupling between two concentric coils.

I imagine that segment lengths would be of the order of a few times
10^-4 wavelengths. I fear that I'd be pushing or perhaps exceeding
the limits of even NEC-4D.

Thanks -Chuck