RE: Re: NEC-LIST:Proper Antenna Patterns

From: Wescom, Gary <GRW1_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 09:54:58 -0700

I'll also add my theory about how the misconception that feed mismatch
causes feed line radiation came about:

One of the most common HF antennas employed is a half-wave dipole (with and
without parasitic elements). Its feed point impedance is minimum and
resonance. When unbalanced feed line is used, whether it be coax without a
balun or parallel lines asymmetric to the antenna, common mode currents are
conducted to or induced onto the feed line. The magnitude of the current
will depend upon the relative impedances of the dipole leg feed value and
the common mode impedance of the transmission line at the feed point. At a
single given operating frequency and fixed feed line configuration, the
magnitude of common mode feed line current will increase with increased
dipole feed point impedance.

Obviously, this is a much simplified model of what actually happens in an
antenna/feed line system but is close enough to reality in typical HF
applications.

High feed point SWR does not create common mode currents. Imbalance causes
feed line currents. Feed point SWR can (and often does) effect common mode
current magnitude when imbalance exists.

Gary