RE: NEC-LIST: 4NEC2 Optimizer

From: Altshuler Edward E Civ AFRL/SNHA <Edward.Altshuler_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 09:44:09 -0500

Hi Brandon,

We used a Genetic Algorithm a number of years ago to optimize two types of
Yagi antennas. For the first application we optimized for gain only. We
used boomlengths from 3.6 to 6.1? at 432 MHz. We allowed both the lengths
and the spacing between elements to float and obtained simulated and
measured gains that were consistently higher than those that could be
obtained using a conventional design approach. This was reported in the
Winter 1998 issue of Communications Quarterly. The second application was
for a broadband Yagi with low sidelobes. This Yagi was simulated for 219 to
251 MHz for sidelobes below 25 dB. It was scaled and measured at 1310 to
1510 MHz. These results are included in a review article in the April 1997
issue of the Antennas and Propagation Magazine.

I was surprised that you kept your spacing and element length constant. I
suspect that you may have obtained a higher performance Yagi if you had
included these parameters in your optimization.

Best regards,

Ed Altshuler