Re: NEC-LIST: Orthogonality under relativistic transformations

From: Michael Pender <michael.pender_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 00:29:57 -0500

Lorentz contraction is more important when modeling how relativistic speeds
affect the perception of a stationary observer. The antenna on a spacecraft
moving at relativistic speed along a direction orthogonal relative to the
source will perceive a doppler shift in the frequency of the radiated
signal, but the Lorentz effect is no more significant than if the source
were moving at relativistic speed in the opposite direction.

For example, we can perceive red-shift or blue-shift in the radiated
energies of start moving at relativistic speeds, but the apparent Lorentz
contraction of a star doesn't generate much of a variation in the model
because distant stars are essentially point-like anyway (IMHO).

In other words, "modes that are local to the antenna" may lose some of the
orthogonality because of apparent frequency shift, as if the antenna were
radiating on another frequency.

I expect that this could be modeled in MATLAB without too much trouble; let
me know if you're interested.

- Mike