Re: NEC-LIST: Field animations

From: Jim Lux <James.P.Lux_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 07:17:44 -0800

I wasn't proposing using POVray to do any calculations, but using POVray to
render the field data generated by NEC, say by representing the field as
small arrows at each grid point, or colored blobs, or (I'm not sure POVray
does this well..)filling each grid point as a cubical transparent voxel, or
a stack of planes colored according to field strength, etc. You'd need a
translation layer to turn NEC output into POVray input...and the files would
be huge...

Taking the arrow example, you could specify the direction and the length of
the arrrow to be calculated as, e.g. Poynting vectors or rotating phasors,
where the coordinates/length/characteristics vary as a function of animation
time. Matlab has functions that do this kind of thing automatically in
their 3D visualization stuff

A few days back there were some references to some visualization papers on
the list, and one of those papers had some URLs which have nice 2D
animations of fields (at UC Davis, among other places)