NEC-LIST: RE: <none>

From: <alan.boswell_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 15:56:47 +0000

Craig

Thanks for your reply and for engaging in the discussion at this level. I
think most people have not been able for whatever reason to go through the
very detailed algebra that you are putting forward. Maybe that means we
should keep quiet, but I was trying to see if anyone had looked at the work
in detail and come to any conclusions.

>From what I have seen, I think one of the differences can be condensed down
to the way in which the power in different spherical modes is added. You
make the point that the modal analysis is aimed at providing expansions for
the E and H fields, which obey superposition. In general, power does not
obey superposition because E from one mode will multiply with H from another
to produce cross-product powers. Collin says that all the modes are
orthogonal so these cross-product powers are all zero anyway and therefore
the relative phases of the modes are immaterial. Is that one of the
essential differences? In the simpler case of waveguide modes the powers of
the different modes can be added, as shown by Marcuvitz.

The other point concerns your paradox about atomic radiation - atoms are
1/500 of a wavelength across yet they radiate effectively. However I do not
see that they produce coherent radiation with a useable bandwidth, or that
the radiation mechanism is subject to Maxwell's equations on which Chu and
Harrington's and others' work is based. Is this really a paradox? Are we
in a region where Maxwell and QED diverge?

Kind regards,

Alan