NEC-LIST: RE: More on Zero-Q Radiators...

From: <Fractenna_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 12:49:14 EST

I think we need to be careful to understand what a 'zero-Q' antenna connotes
which, to me, implies an infinite passband.

I also note that this topic is invoking at least some private e-mail
regarding atoms, radiation mechansims,and so on.

Let me be pithy: when we radiate from antennas, our sources are artificial
drivers which produce non-thermal, changing e and m fields. No natural
process emulates this; even cyclotron radiation has a characteristic spectrum
that hardly suggests a broad band, low Q 'antenna'.

ALL natural radiation processes are inefficient, whether its from
recombination; blackbody; synchrotron; cerenkov; and so on and so on. None
has an infinite bandwidth.

Blackbody radiation radiates across the entire EM spectrum, but it is not a
low Q or zero- Q mechanism.

Atomic spectral line radiation is hi Q and very, very inefficient.

As for evidence of how feeble blackbody radiation is off the Wein peak, Just
try detecting your colleagues (300 degree K radiators) at HF....

:-)

73,
Chip N1IR