NEC-LIST: RE: Small antennas

From: <alan.boswell_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 14:58:58 +0000

Prof Grimes,

Thank you for your clarification. We have two different analyses of the
bandwidth of small antennas, both presumably correct mathematically, and the
difference must lie in the initial formulation of the problem, particularly
the exact definition of stored energy in the definition of Q.

I was interested in your comment that Collin never investigated what happens
when the wave is modulated, which is a true statement, but it is commonly
held to be sufficient to make impedance measurements in which the frequency
is incremented in slow time, each measurement being made under steady-state
conditions, and the assumption is that any changes within the rf cycle
resulting from modulation are so slow as to be negligible. I agree that is
an assumption, but few would think it is a fundamental error in my opinion.
Therefore it is assumed that if an impedance measurement is made using a
slowly swept frequency to establish the bandwidth, then the same bandwidth
applies to the frequency-spectrum of a modulated wave under dynamic
conditions. I am not aware of any measurements to the contrary, and if it
is true the stored energy under fixed frequency and power conditions is
significant.

I understand that for single small antennas your results and Collin's are in
agreement, and that the differences appear when there are TE and TM modes
present, generated by a magnetic and an electric dipole together. For the
input impedance of one element to depend on the drive current in the other,
some mutual coupling is required, yet it is difficult to see how two such
antennas would couple: an x-directed loop does not couple to an x-directed
dipole because the wires as mutually orthogonal, while an x-directed loop
does not couple to a y-directed dipole because the loop's E field must be
zero along the dipole, by symmetry. In other words, an x-directed loop
produces Ex=0 along the x axis and Ey=0 along the y axis, so neither dipole
couples to the loop. However the figures in your MOT Letters paper October
2000 shows the dipole asymmetrically placed relative to the loop, and some
coupling might be possible in this case, and enough data is given in the
paper to allow the NEC modelling to be repeated by anyone interested.

I hope this is constructive and not too much of a ramble.

Kind regards,

Alan Boswell