NEC-LIST: QUESTION

From: Don Belcher <dbelcher_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 08:37:21 -0500

Hello,
I am a fairly new user so this is probably a dumb question but I have been
comparing simple half-wave dipoles over typical earth, oriented vertically and
horizontally. The patterns look as you would expect however if one overlays
the patterns, it sure looks like the horizontal is radiating a lot more
integrated power than the vertical (meaning it looks like the overall
radiation efficiency of the antenna/earth "system" is higher with the
horizontal). Of course the overlays are at the broadside azimuth for the
horizontal....

Just for grins, I am using a 21 MHz half-wave dipole about 20 feet high at the
feed point.

Is there some factor of 2 or something similar that I am missing or is it all
pattern effects and fooling me bacause I am looking at the horizontal's best
azimuth?

thanks
Don
dbelcher_at_wherenet.com