Re: NEC-LIST: Most 'useful' sizes(diameters) for sparse arrays?

From: <Fractenna_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 08:25:02 EST

In a message dated 2/14/03 7:22:43 AM Eastern Standard Time, wadavis_at_vt.edu
writes:

> If you are going to repeat history with sparse arrays, you should give a
> look at the extensive work done by Y.T. Lo and others at the University
> of Illinois back in the 60s and 70s on Random Arrays. The radio
> telescope at Illinois was using a sparse array in the 70s based on some
> of the earlier work. Bill Davis

No, no.No no no.

:-)

I'm not interested in history. I am aware of my colleague's work:-) Radio
astronomers did great work on sparse arrays 20-30 years ago, but are not at
the state of the art these days--at least in the published work.

This is new work. Fun work.

Let me try again.

Let's say you wanted to solve an interesting problem with sparse arrays. You
could, for example, take an array with a size of 10 wavelengths diameter and
then try some approach. Let's say you now have a result for a 10 wave array.
Now you take an array with, say, a 1000 wave diameter and get its result. So
you have results for a 10 wave array, and a 1000 wave array.

But, let's say that no one cares about a 10 wave array, or a 1000 wave array.
What's interesting is a 5 wave array or a 20 wave array. OK; now you get a
result for a 5 wave array and a 20 wave array. You've wasted time on the 10
wave array and the 1000 wave array because those aren't of practical
interest.

If one COULD solve an interesting problem for arrays, what would be the most
interesting sizes, or the RANGE of most interesting sizes, to consider?

I'm not baiting here; I'm looking for practical suggestions on this range to
explore. And this is a NEC sim I'm considering.

Many thanks, and I enjoy and am grateful for all comments.

Chip N1IR