Re: NEC-LIST: Most 'useful' sizes(diameters) for sparse arrays?

From: Jim Lux <James.P.Lux_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 06:33:20 -0800

Maybe a way to approach this is to thing about the following:

What frequencies are of interest? Are you thinking meters, centimeters, or
millimeters? At microwave frequencies, there are certain frequencies that
are of more interest than others.

What sort of angular resolution is of interest at that frequency? (for
instance, maybe there are existing instruments/arrays/what have you that
work well enough at particular resolutions..)

Then, think about physical size that's practical... (cost wise..)

Say you set, as a goal, "how could I duplicate the capability (resolution
wise) of Areceibo for under $1M" or something like that. Think of the Allen
Radio Telescope or the Square Kilometer Array.

I imagine the interesting thing would be to see if sparse arrays can provide
a NEW capability, either by being low cost or providing a measurement in
some niche that's unexplored, or something like that.

Another way is to approach it: Come up with some basic problem (for which
there may be a brute force solution (400 kW transmitters and 70 meter
paraboloids)) and see if you can do it another way. I think it would be
interesting, for instance, to be able to generate radar maps of the moon or
planets (for amusement)... Sure, it was done before...... but signal
processing technology (particularly cheap hardware) has advanced a lot.. so
maybe using DSN and Areceibo isn't the only way any more.