Re: NEC-LIST: US metrics question

From: Jacob Schanker <schanker_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 17:14:12 -0500

Arie:

I haven't seen any replies to your question, so let me try to answer it.

I think you are safe using decimal feet, like your example of 12.345 foot.
Industry here tends to use this form, unless they are enlightened enough to
be using metric measure. The building trades and other crafts tend to use
feet-inches-fractions, so a ten meter long wall might be shown as 32'
9-11/16"

What will you do for wire element diameters? Decimal inches would be more
appropriate than feet.

I try to use metric measure when I do NEC simulations, but I agree it's best
to allow feet-inches.

The feet-inch measure is sometimes called "English", sometimes "Imperial"
but seldom "US Customary".

I am sure the feet-inches will be helpful to numerical electromagnetic
modelers in Myanmar and Liberia, as well as in the USA.

Regards,

Jacob Z. Schanker, P.E.
65 Crandon Way
Rochester, NY 14618