NEC-LIST: Metrics.au

From: Chuck Vandament <chuckv_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2003 20:37:35 -0600

Greetings:

On our last visit to Australia, we got into some interesting discussions.
They are metricised in most ways, but their two-week vacations are
fortnight holidays. Old timers (my generation)still measure body weight in
stones and pounds. The neatest change is in the money. They have
abandoned the penny; you round to the nearest nickle in all transactions.
They also have small coins for A$1.00 and A$2.00. The one dollar piece is
the diameter of our dime and about three times as thick. Likewise, the two
dollar piece is the size, roughly, of our nickle and the same thickness as
the former. Both look like anodized gold and may be made of aluminium
(Aussie spelling). It is not uncommon to collect a pocket full of change
and find that you have forty or fifty dollars in coin.

Smilin' Chuck