NEC-LIST: Parallel wire modeling question

From: Kapil R. Dandekar <dandekar_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 11:11:08 -0400 (EDT)

Hello there,

   I am using NEC2 to model a wire antenna approximation of a half-wavelength
dipole antenna array operating around 2 Ghz. I am looking for references on
how close parallel wires can be before underlying assumptions regarding the
thin wire approximation and lack of circumferential currents are no longer
valid. Specifically, people seem to use parallel wires with 0.5*lambda
separation relatively frequently. How much closer can they be before
assumptions start to break down?

   The NEC2 documentation states "at leaset several wire radii" separation,
but this is somewhat vague. I know that people use fine wire meshes for
approximating surfaces, so I am confused as to why an inter-element spacing
of, say, 0.1*lambda would be a problem.

   I have been told that it depends upon the length of the parallel wires
being modeled, but I couldn't find any references. Any references or
suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kapil

___