Re: NEC-LIST: Edmond Bruce questions

From: J. Mc Laughlin <jcm_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 19:48:04 -0800 (PST)

Dear Alexandre:
    Outstanding and most helpful!
    I have only just read your responses and after study I will respond
in detail.
    My first thought is that I just did not go far enough into the 40s
to find the resultant patent in the US PTO data base. It might turn out
to be a classification error. I should have thought to look at a
European data base.
    A few quick notes: The Bruce array, a form of which was used by
Jansky to start radio astronomy, is, as you know, quite a different
animal from the rhombic. See US 1,910,147 of May 23, 1933 (Filed March
9, 1927). See also US 1,947,247.

I am working on a paper (for lack of a better term) on the advancement
of the antenna art over the past 80 odd years. The advancement in the
use of mathematics, computations, and modeling is to be illustrated. I
thought to use the progression of thought as applied to some one antenna
as a vehicle. Several antennas suggest themselves. Even the subject of
advancement in the understanding of arrays of antennas has progressed
dramatically. The use of a rhombic antenna as an example is attractive
because the most early analysis was very simple and today one may model
well such a "wirely" antenna with NEC-4 (even to the point of being able
to put bounds on the effects of the wire tension used). Thus the early
history of the rhombic that includes patents as well as published papers
is an appropriate starting point. It was frustrating to read about four
patents that made reference to the 513,063 application without seeing
the result of same.

    I will now print your most helpful information and prepare an
appropriate response. Many thanks for your assistance. Warm
regards, Mac
J. Mc Laughlin - Michigan USA
Home: JCM_at_Power-Net.Net

P.S. I too receive a note from the list every time I post about how
there is an error in the address used by my ISP.