Re: NEC-LIST: Edmond Bruce questions

From: Alexandre Kampouris <ak_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 01:17:05 -0800 (PST)

At 04:48 29.12.2003, you wrote:
>Dear Alexandre:

Hi !

> My first thought is that I just did not go far enough into the 40s
>to find the resultant patent in the US PTO data base. It might turn out
>to be a classification error.

Using application or priority numbers is more efficient, if the database
allows it (ie, coverage of older documents).

>I should have thought to look at a
>European data base.

If you go to http://ep.espacenet.com , you can search using either IPC
(International) or EC (European) classification. Enter the code in the
appropriate field.

Both schemes are closely related. There are however significant differences :

1) IPC is only attributed ONCE, and by the document's issuing office (eg :
JPO, USPTO, EPO, UKPTO, etc.). If the classification scheme evolves (there
are IPC revisions), old documents will not be reclassified, and retain
their old codes. Each office may have a different understanding of (or
interest in) the scheme. So YMMV.

2) EC has the same structure as IPC, but can have further refinement levels
(ie, there can be further groups following the first one after the slash).
Documents are classified - and sometimes reclassified - by the same group
of people, so the results tend to be more consistent.

Rhombics are in H01Q11/06 . Enjoy.

http://l2.espacenet.com/eclasrch?CY=fr&LG=fr&ECLA=http%3A//l2.espacenet.com/espacenet/ecla/h01q/h01q11.htm%3Fq%3D11-06

There are also Japanese patents, but they are rather cumbersome to search
on the internet.
http://www.ipdl.jpo.go.jp/homepg_e.ipdl

> A few quick notes: The Bruce array, a form of which was used by
>Jansky to start radio astronomy, is, as you know, quite a different
>animal from the rhombic.

Yup, indeed, but both are from the same guy. It was the name which had
peaked my correlator.

I mentioned in my first message this earlier patent of Philip Staats Carter
of RCA filed 11.06.1930 :

http://l2.espacenet.com/espacenet/bnsviewer?CY=fr&LG=fr&DB=EPD&PN=US1974387&ID=US+++1974387A1+I+

Coming back to that document, I notice Fig. 10 on page 3/12, which looks a
little eery. It isn't quite clear to me how there two Vees are connected
from the discussion from page 7/12, lines 135 to 141, and the neighbouring
passages. In any case the reigning principle in the US then (and now) was
"first to invent", and not "first to file".

>I am working on a paper (for lack of a better term) on the advancement
>of the antenna art over the past 80 odd years. The advancement in the
>use of mathematics, computations, and modeling is to be illustrated. I
>thought to use the progression of thought as applied to some one antenna
>as a vehicle.

Where do you hope to publish it (if it's not too indiscreet) ?

Alexandre