Re: NEC-LIST: mininec, NEC4?

From: Roy Lewallen <w7el_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 1998 06:18:02 +0000 (GMT)

robpeterson_at_iname.com wrote:

> Could anyone enlighten me on the general capabilities of the various
> analysis programs available for electromagnetics? I have an
> application which simple wire geometries wont cover. I'm wondering
> what the capabilities of NEC4 are, cost, source, etc.
>
> Thanks, Rob
> (remove SPAM from email address)

NEC-4 has all the capabilities of NEC-2, plus the ability to model
buried wires, accommodate insulated wire, and have a primary medium
other than air. It also is relatively free of NEC-2's problem with
connected wires of different diameters, and has reduced sensitivity to
some other numerical problems. It includes additional geometry
checking.

While NEC-2 is public domain and free, NEC-4 is copyrighted by the
University of California and sold only through Lawrence Livermore
National Laboratory. Sale is restricted to U.S. citizens and only for
use within the U.S. Price is $850, although I believe a discount is
available for university use. For information about purchasing NEC-4,
contact Dr. Jerry Burke at Lawrence Livermore, burke2_at_llnl.gov.

I sell an interface for NEC-4 called EZNEC/4, but its use requires an
NEC-4 license, purchased from LLNL. For more information about EZNEC/4
see http://www.teleport.com/~w7el.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL