NEC-LIST: Imperial metrics in the UK

From: David Jefferies <dj_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2003 20:18:03 +0000

Dear List,

"not to understand feet, inches, pounds, stones"
although he does understand pints as that is what
his consumption of milk, about 24 a week, comes in, but then,
they are Imperial pints which are 20 fl.oz. against the
US pint which is only 16. (Don't compare miles per
gallon!)

Seriously, the sooner everyone goes entirely metric,
the better for all of us. Australia is metricised.
Also, for antenna work the speed of light is very
very closely 0.3 metres per nanosecond, which is
a very memorable number (I teach it more loosely
as a foot a nanosecond to my students).

The UK has not yet converted from miles to kilometres
however. Kilometres is a good unit as it is supposed
to be 1/10,000 of the distance from a pole to the
equator. It makes satcoms calculations agreeable.

regards

David Jefferies.

--
David Jefferies